Write a research paper on body art and ornamentation
We have learned that culture is a powerful tool that allows humans to adapt to their own unique environments. In order to better understand cultural diversity, comparisons between cultures are often used to explain the similarities and differences across societies. In order to demonstrate your understanding of the adaptive nature of culture, you will prepare a research paper that requires you to think about what people are doing, why they are doing what they do, and how it ties in with their environment.
In this paper you will be comparing and contrasting one of the following topics in three cultures (other than your own), providing an analysis of the similarities and differences, and an explanation of why these differences might exist.
1. In your rough draft you selected a topic from the following list:
a. Body Art and Ornamentation
b. Child Rearing Practices
c. Healthcare practices
d. Educational practices
e. Elderly care
f. Body Language and Proxemics
g. Rites of Passage
h. Conflict resolution
i. Marriage practices
j. Alternative gender roles
2. In Week Three, you conducted your research and completed a Rough Draft of the Final Research Paper. You have also received feedback from your instructor on this draft. It is important at this stage that you carefully take the time to review the feedback that was provided. If based on this feedback, you feel the need to conduct any additional research, now is the time to visit the Ashford University Library and find additional sources.
3. Expand your rough draft into a seven to eight page research paper that contains the following components:
a. A discussion of how three cultures (other than your own) approach the topic, including specific ethnographic examples.
b. A compare and contrast analysis of the similarities and differences in how the three cultures approach the topic, from a culturally relativistic perspective.
c. An explanation of why these differences or similarities might exist.
Take extra care as you are writing this paper to ensure that you have given proper consideration to all of the notes that were provided to you by your instructor. You will also want to allow plenty of time to proof-read the Final Research Paper and double check for formatting and the use of proper citations. If you are concerned about plagiarism, please utilize thePlagiarism Flow Chart.
The paper must be seven to eight pages in length and formatted according to APA style. You must use at least three scholarly sources from the Ashford University Library to support your claims. Cite your sources within the text of your paper and on the reference page. For information regarding APA, including samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, located within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
Writing the Research Paper
1. Must be seven to eight double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
2. Must include a title page with the following:
a. Title of paper
b. Student’s name
c. Course name and number
d. Instructor’s name
e. Date submitted
3. Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
4. Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
5. Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
6. Must use at least three scholarly sources from the Ashford University Library.
7. Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
8. Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.